This project was the other one that I tweaked at the retreat last weekend. Michele had created this project with the Web Wishes stamp set. We had been joking about "frog princes" and when I realized that this project included Dentyne Ice cinnamon gum AND the All Wrapped Up stamp set was sitting right next to me, the wheels in my twisted head started turning.
I scored this at:
2 7/8 inches
3 1/8 inch
5 1/2 inch
The Basic Black cardstock is measured at 2 1/4 x 3 3/4 inches.
The Confetti White cardstock is measured at 2 x 3 1/2 inches.
I used the "masking technique" with the frogs, so they didn't look like they overlapped each other. The directions may seem a little overwhelming at first, but once you execute the masking technique the first time, it's a breeze the next time you do it.
Here's a quick run-down on how to do the masking techniue, which I got from Stampin' UP's Stampin' Ideas and Techniques portion of their web site.
1] Stamp image on card stock.
2] Stamp it again on a piece of scratch paper.
3] Cut carefully around the scratch paper image, cutting just inside the lines; this will be your mask.
4] Place the mask on top of the card stock image.
5] Stamp another image over a portion of the mask to create layered, interacting images.
6] Remove the mask to see the finished look.
7] To stamp a partial image, use tape to cover the part of the stamp you don't want to appear, ink the stamp, remove the tape, and stamp the image.
To ensure that the mask stays in place, stamp image on a Post-It® note.
You can view Stampin' UP!'s finished project HERE.
I stamped the image of the jar and the frog on scratch paper. I cut out the frog for my mask. I cut out the jar, but instead of using the actual jar as the mask, I used the "negative hole" where the jar USED to be on my scratch paper as my mask. In other words, I used the spot where the jar used to be on my scratch paper as a make-shift stencil, so that when I stamped my frogs, I wouldn't end up with any of their heads or bodies poking out from the sides of the jar. (hope that made sense)
I stamped a bunch of frogs, using my frog mask, to fill up the jar. To color them in, I swiped color from the Stampin' Write Markers on the plastic lid of the stamp set and used the Aquapainter to dilute the marker ink and use it as paint. For the two greens that I colored the frogs in with, I used Green Galore and Old Olive.
To draw the lips on the frogs, as well as the hand lettering for the "Pucker Up!" at the top of the project, I used the fine point tip of the Real Red Stampin' Write Marker.
I created a little bit of shadowing and dimension under and on the sides of the jar with the Bashful Blue Stampin' Write Marker and the Aquapainter.
I adhered the project together on one of the sides with SNAIL Adhesive.
I threaded the ribbon through both holes and placed the gum (make sure to take it out of the original sleeve it came in) on the ribbon and pushed it down into the project, then tied a double knot in the ribbon pretty close to the top of the project. You don't want to do it too tight so that the gum doesn't budge, but you also don't want to do it too loose or the gum will slide around too much. I did my knot about 1/4 inch above the packet of gum.
I'm thinking this will be a PERFECT gift idea for my single friends still waiting for their "Frog Prince." ;)
I'm also thinking that I should start a line of cards & gift ideas for commissioned work using SU images that are totally off-kilter. ;) It seems to be where my head is most days. ;)